Well. Here it is, the last speaker interview before we all gather in Dallas. Just can’t believe it.
Thank you for listening to the podcast and welcoming our speakers. They have been praying for this weekend, seeking God for the message He wants you to hear. Continue to pray for their safety in traveling and protection over their families as they are away.
Okay. Now on to today’s fabulous podcast guest, Kristen Welch. If you’ve never heard Kristen’s story, you are in for a treat. She shares little glimpses of her obedience journey. But I think you will hear her humble heart of service. And be amazed at all God can do when we simply say “yes”.
“God asks us all to say “yes” to something. He chooses the people who are least qualified and most inadequate because then He is the most glorified.” -Kristen Welch
What we chat about:
- How they were (are) “that family” with lots of ER visits, which is what started her online writing back in 2007.
- How a Compassion International Blogging trip wrecked her and required a response.
- How she said “yes” to Jesus in a bold way. . .starting maternity homes in Kenya for orphaned and oppressed girls living in poverty (writing about her journey in a new book, “Rhinestone Jesus”).
- Her new idea to provide employment for impoverished women, single moms, & widows . . .with the gospel as her core–Fair Trade Friday.
- How obedience is risky and unfamiliar, but not unsafe because God is faithful.
- How after writing the book, she ended up saying “yes” to training refugees in Houston how to crochet/knit (crafting products that will be part of Fair Trade Fridays).
- How she overcame fear when traveling to back to the maternity homes in Kenya by focusing on Truth.
Connect with Kristen:
- Compassion International
- “Rhinestone Jesus: Saying Yes to God When Sparkly, Safe Faith is No Longer Enough” book
- Mercy House Kenya
- Fair Trade Fridays Club
When you stop and consider God calling you to say “yes”, what fears come to mind?
How to Listen to the Declare Conference Podcast:
1. Listen on the blog. Go to DeclareConference.com and click the play button at the beginning of this post (on your computer. . .doesn’t work on smartphones).
2. Listen on your smartphone, iPad or iPod Touch – There are a lot of great podcasting apps. Apple has a free one in the app store, there is also one called Downcast. It allows you to search for shows, subscribe to them and even speed up the audio.
3. Subscribe to the Podcast – access the podcast in iTunes (click here). You can also search for it on your smartphone app (like the ones listed above) and subscribe.